Based out of the Dallaire Initiative’s institutional home, Dalhousie University, the Wounded Warriors Canada Veteran Trainers to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers (VTECS) program delivers education and skills transition training for Canadian veterans by combining academic, fully-credited university classes with specialized training that build on Canadian veterans’ skills, expertise and experience.
The 2019 VTECS program is now accepting applications from Canadian Armed Forces veterans as well as Municipal, Provincial and Federal police veterans.
The VTECS program provides an opportunity for veterans, competitively chosen, to acquire a deep and broad understanding of the skills, knowledge and attitudes required of security sector actors to legally, humanely and effectively interact with children/child soldiers in domestic or foreign operational areas. Program participants receive focused education in this field, and develop academic and instructor/facilitation skills, which may be of benefit in all areas for veterans transitioning from military to civilian life and employment.
The Wounded Warriors VTECS program is the result of a partnership of Canadian organizations and individuals supporting the Dallaire Initiative in our mission to eradicate the recruitment and use of child soldiers around the world. Led by Wounded Warriors Canada (WWC) and with the support of the Air Canada Foundation, we aim to provide education for veterans of both the Canadian Armed Forces and Canadian policing organizations, to successfully transition from service to civilian life.
“As a veteran, my military career does not define who I am but serves as a grounding in my personal growth. The VTECS program is reflective of my values and adds depth to my professional and academic experience. The VTECS program has allowed me to focus my passion for making a difference for our world’s most vulnerable, children.”
– Francis W. Harrison, 2017 VTECS Program Participant
Meet two of our VTECS graduates
2016 VTECS Graduate
2017 VTECS Graduate
Veteran Trainers to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers
Frequently Asked Questions
Start Your Application Today
Applications are now open for the 2019 Wounded Warriors Canada VTECS Program.
How to Apply
- Note that in order to complete the application form, you’ll need to have the most recent version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Click here to get the latest version.
- When application form appears in new window, download prior to inputting any information.
- You can enter information into the application form and save it as you work on it. Be sure to review your answers and ensure you haven’t missed any of the required questions (marked in red). While not all questions are required, you are encouraged to complete as much of the application as possible.
- Save your completed application as LastNameFirstName.pdf
- Once your application is complete, email it to email@example.com and include the application form as an attachment.
- Applications must be received by the Dallaire Initiative by January 18th, 2019 at 11:59pm.