Contract – Paid Opportunity: Software/Website Development
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative requires services for the redevelopment and updating of an existing mobile web application prototype and is accepting expressions of interest in order to find a qualified source to meet this need. The existing prototype is built on a Drupal 8 CMS platform, and will therefore require significant knowledge and experience with this platform in addition to a firm understanding of ‘mobile first’ design.
Our goal with mobile web application redevelopment is to:
- Create training environment based on modules with improved user experience.
- Create simple to implement templates/page builder
- Improve overall user experience and design of application for mobile/desktop environments
The objective of this call for applications is to locate a source that will provide the best overall value to the Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative in meeting the project vision.
The Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative was established in 2007 by retired Lieutenant-General the Honourable Roméo Dallaire, former Force Commander of the United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda (UNAMIR). The Dallaire Initiative’s mission is to develop new strategies and tactics for eradicating the recruitment and use of child soldiers worldwide.
To achieve this important objective, the Dallaire Initiative conducts activities on three fronts:
- We conduct world-class interdisciplinary research to build – and share – knowledge, which in turn leads to new solutions.
- We engage in high-level advocacy activities to create and promote the political will to end the use of children as soldiers.
- We deliver tactical, prevention-oriented training to security sector actors, to promote broader security sector reform.
The existing app requires updating to its current structure to enhance both its functionality and the user experience with the app. The following criteria are some of the criteria that need to be met to achieve a successful project:
- Create a visually and aesthetically pleasing mobile web app based on mobile user experience best practices
- Consistency of design across all sections of the app in a CMS theme
- Site can be changed/modified easily by Dallaire Initiative personnel with minimal coding knowledge
- Any additional software and licensing requirements should be included as part of this project
- App content should be searchable through key word searches for primary content categories, i.e. resources, training, news, etc.
- App must be responsive design and thus be usable on most modern web browsers and across most device categories, including but not limited to smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops.
- Ability to work closely with the project manager on coordination of project tasks and resources
- Plan and perform a complete testing process on redeveloped app in order to ensure functionality
All deliverables for this project must be completed by September 1, 2017, with biweekly project updates provided to the project manager.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIALIZED KNOWLEDGE:
- Undergraduate Degree in Computer Science or Informatics
- Development experience with Drupal CMS, with emphasis on Drupal 8
- Knowledge and experience with developing analytics to track user experience.
- 3-5 years of experience in website/app development with a focus on mobile first design
- Demonstrated success with project management, meeting deadlines and deliverables.
- Experience working with clients from not-for-profits, governments and or universities considered an asset
Interested applicants are invited to express their interest in the contract by emailing the project manager at email@example.com no later than 11:59pm on Sunday, May 7th 2017. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for a follow up meeting will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Expressions of interest should include the following:
- A cover letter and CV, demonstrating your qualifications and specialized skills as they relate to the contract.
- 2 projects that are similar to this project as part of their response, including references for each. Examples of work should be provided as well.
- If you have a standard set of terms and conditions, please submit them with your proposal. All terms and conditions will be subject to negotiation.
- A price proposal that is not more than 1 page and does not exceed a total project budget of $5000. This price proposal should indicate an estimate for the overall fixed price for the project as well as hourly rates and an estimated total number of hours, should the Dallaire Initiative decide to award a contract on an hourly rate basis.