Apply Now: Summer Student Program Assistant
Canada Summer Jobs Grant
Organization: Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative
Student Position Title: Program Assistant
Location: Dalhousie University Studley Campus – Halifax, Nova Scotia
Pay: $15.00 / hour (35 week for 7 weeks)
The Roméo Dallaire Child Soldiers Initiative was founded by LGen Roméo Dallaire (Ret’d) in 2007. The Dallaire Initiative wants to bring the perspective of the security sector to the issue of child soldiery, while equipping them with the training and tools to prevent the recruitment and use of child soldiers worldwide. Through this we hope to build a more holistic, prevention oriented approach to the issue of child soldiers that compliments current efforts while providing innovative solutions. Our mission is to progressively eradicate the use and recruitment of child soldiers through a security sector approach. Our vision is a world where children are no longer recruited or used as weapons of war.
The Program Assistant will provide critical program support to the Veteran Trainers to Eradicate the Use of Child Soldiers (VTECS) program. The Program Assistant will support the VTECS program by conducting research to develop and enhance existing programming infrastructure. Projects may include supporting monitoring and evaluation efforts, organizing program events, research, coordinating and supporting program administrative requirements, evaluating current program approaches, supporting social media communications, and offering administrative support as required.
Program Development, Research and Evaluation
- Database development to track VTECS alumni and their engagement
- Support the Monitor and Evaluation Officer with pre/post program interviews.
- Assist with research and identify strategic options for program components.
- Work with other staff to support programming as needed.
- Assist with organizational research as needed.
- Assists in preparing, formatting and editing program materials, including promotion materials, briefs, letters, etc…
- Assist in the development, planning, implementation and evaluation of special events related to VTECS, including the Speaker Series, graduation and program opening ceremonies.
- Event logistics, including but not limited to: preparing and managing event lists, event materials, back-up information, AV support, tables and merchandising, scripts for the evening, and volunteer support.
- Promotion of the program(s) via internet postings, social networking, online and print media, and email.
- Answer emails, phone calls, and complete basic admin duties as required
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
- 1 year experience in program coordination, event planning or with a non-profit organization;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office: Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher and Word;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Ability to work productively in a fast-paced working environment;
- Self starter, capacity to work independently and manage a varying workload.
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity, confidentiality, tact and diplomacy;
- Demonstrated multi-tasking skills;
- Experience with program development and delivery, public relations, and communications.
- Interest in understanding issues related to child soldiers and veterans;
- Between 18 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
- Registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year
- Will be returning to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year
- A Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act* and;
- Legally entitled to work per relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
The Position Reports to, and provides programming and administrative support to the Program Manager. The Program Assistant will engage with key program partners and other Dallaire Initiative staff, with support from the Program Manager.
The position works in a typical office setting and the incumbent may be required to sit for long periods of time. The position may also involve lifting and moving materials that weight approximately 25 pounds.
RATE OF PAY AND DURATION OF CONTRACT
This position is funded through the Canada Summer Jobs grant program. The successful application will be paid $15.00/hr for 35 hours per week for a total of 7 weeks of work. The anticipated start date is June 19th, 2017 (flexible).
Please send a cover letter and resume to Joëlle Badman, Program Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 12, 2017.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates selected for a follow up interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.